Sun remains undefeated, John Cauffman honored before match
WHITTIER, Calif. - Whittier College and the men's and women's tennis teams recognized John and Janet Cauffman prior to the men's tennis match against No. 7 Amherst College on Friday afternoon. John Cauffman cut the ribbon to open the courts but it was the Lord Jeffs who stole the show when the match began as they went on to an 8-1 win over the Poets.
Whittier's (7-3) Frank Sun remained undefeated on the year as he won at No. 6 singles 6-3, 6-2 to improve to 10-0.
WC's No. 1 singles team of Just DeLong and Sean Robertson had the tough task of facing the No. 10 ranked doubles pair from Amherst (11-3). The Poets were able to steal three games from the Lord Jeffs but it wasn't enough as Amherst took the match 8-3.
Patrico Carregha and Lance Franey battled hard at No. 2 doubles but lost 8-5 while the No. 3 doubles team of Sun and Gavin Smith lost 8-0.
Robertson's afternoon got no easier as he matched up against Amherst's Zack Lerner at No. 1 singles. Lerner ranks No. 8 nationally and won 6-1, 6-1.
Franey made the most of his match at No. 4 singles but Smainder Asokaraj won 6-4, 6-4.
The Poets return to action on Monday, March 26, as they host Pacific (Ore.) University at 3 p.m.
1. Koenig/Lerner (AC) def. Robertson/DeLong (WC) 8-3
2. Gross/Chafetz (AC) def. Carregha/Franey (WC) 8-5
3. Kim/Jung (AC) def. Sun/Smith (WC) 8-0
1. Zack Lerner (AC) def. Sean Robertson (WC) 6-1, 6-1
2. Andrew Jung (AC) def Justin DeLong (WC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Priit Gross (AC) def. Patricio Carregha (WC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Smainder Asokaraj (AC) def. Lance Franey (WC) 6-4, 6-4
5. Scott London (AC) def. Gavin Smith (WC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Frank Sun (WC) def. Dan Gonzalez (AC) 6-3, 6-2