Poets upset 5-4 by Leopards in SCIAC matchup
CLAREMONT, Calif. – The Whittier College women's tennis team was upset Friday afternoon by the Leopards of the University of La Verne 5-4 who rallied after trailing 2-1 after doubles.
Both Whittier and La Verne now drop to .500 on the season at 8-8, 2-4 SCIAC with one regular season matchup left. The Poets host Cal Lutheran University, today, Saturday, April 21 beginning at 11am, while La Verne hosts Occidental College.
Whittier jumped out in front after doubles 2-1 but saw La Verne take four of six singles in route to the 5-4 upset victory over the Poets who are ranked No. 11 in the West Region.
The Purple & Gold now drop their second straight match after falling 8-1 to the University of Redlands last week but look to gain momentum going into the Ojai Championships set to take place next week on April 26, 27, 28.
In doubles, the No. 3 team of Benay Weintraub and Kady Oliker cruised to the 8-2 victory getting the Poets their first point on the afternoon, while the duo of Adrienne Hamada and Rachel Sugiyama at No. 2 cruised to the 8-4 victory using two breaks of serve to post the second point for the Purple & Gold. With the win, Hamada and Sugiyama improve to 9-5 on the season and now post the best doubles record on the team.
All four singles losses occurred in straight sets at No. 1, No. 4, No. 5, and No. 6 while sophomores Chloe Dredge and Hamada pulled off the lone Poet victories. Dredge cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 victory at No. 2 and has now won her fourth straight improving her record to 11-5 on the season, while Hamada pulled out a three set match at No. 3 dropping the first set 6-4 but rallying back to win 7-5 in the second and 10-8 in the third set super tiebreaker.
Even with the two wins in singles it wasn't enough as La Verne prevailed 5-4. But Whittier has another chance in the SCIAC Championships to avenge the loss to the Leopards if the draw falls in their favor. The SCIAC Championships will be occurring on May 4 and 5 hosted by Cal Lutheran.
1. Laina Matsuda/Alison Moncrief def. Serylo/Dredge 8-4
2. Adrienne Hamanda/Rachel Sugiyama (WC) def. Carly Tucker/Brooke Hines 8-4
3. Kady Oliker/Benay Weintraub (WC) def. Justine Ledesma/Tarika Krishnamurthy 8-2
1. Laina Matsuda def. Liliana Serylo (WC) 6-3, 6-2
2. Chloe Dredge (WC) def. Tarika Krishnamurthy 6-2, 6-1
3. Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. Brooke Hines 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (8)
4. Carly Tucker def. Kady Oliker (WC) 7-5, 6-4
5. Alison Moncrief def. Benay Weintraub (WC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Valerie Lezin def. Rachel Sugiyama (WC) 6-0, 6-3