Photo by: Tony Leon/ActionWestPhotography.com
WHITTIER, Calif. – The Whittier college women's tennis team continues to power through their opponents after they cruised past Ohio Northern Tuesday afternoon 6-3 to improve to 4-1.
Three days after defeating Biola University 7-2, the Poets continued where they left off taking four of six singles matches to clinch the victory.
Opening up the match, the No. 1 duo of Maegan Zamilpa and Liliana Serylo fought from being down 6-3 to win 8-6 that proved to be crucial in the final point totals. They were joined by the No. 2 team of Benay Weintraub and Adrienne Hamada who pulled out a tough 8-5 win that helped give the Purple & Gold a 2-1 lead into singles play.
In singles, the Poets surrendered a mere three games total at No.1, No. 2, and No. 3 before Weintraub who was forced out of singles action on Saturday against Biola came through with a 6-3, 6-0 victory at No. 4.
Whittier returns to the court this Saturday, March 9 when they host Case Western Reserve at 3:00pm immediately following the men's match.
1. Meagan Zamilpa (WC) def. TUMA, Michelle (ONU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Liliana Serylo (WC) def. CELLENTANI, Kristina (ONU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Adrienne Hamada (WC) def. CORBEAN, Christina (ONU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Benay Weintraub (WC) def. LETIZIA, Meghan (ONU) 6-3, 6-0
5. MILLER, Brittany (ONU) def. Brianna Campanero (WC) 7-5, 6-2
6. STROMBECK, Taryn (ONU) def. Lauren Gelgur (WC) 6-1, 7-5
1. Meagan Zamilpa/Liliana Serylo (WC) def. TUMA, Michelle/MILLER, Rachel (ONU) 8-6
2. Adrienne Hamada/Benay Weintraub (WC) def. MILLER, Brittany/CELLENTANI, Kristina (ONU) 8-5
3. LETIZIA, Meghan/ OLMSTEAD, Carly (ONU) def. Lauren Gelgur/Brianna Campanero (WC) 8-3